Friday 28 September 2012

Mac OS X Mountain Lion: Impressions


Image From: http://cdn.electricpig.com.s3-external-3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mountain-lion-mactv.jpg
After updating to apples new Operating system Mountain Lion I must admit that I was very impressed by its new features and the seamless integration of my previous files. The update took only 40 minutes and before I new it it was up and running.

So the main things Looked for was the new features in Mountain Lion 10.8, the main one in which I was excited about was airplay mirroring and iMessage.

Airplay
If you own an apple TV and have wi-fi within your home you can wirelessly mirror the content of your screen across to your TV. When I tested this on my apple TV of a distance of 3 meters away, it was almost seamless. There is a little bit of delay and lag but this is very much understandable, as it is after all wireless with no physical connection. The image quality is surprisingly high, with no obvious streaming bugs. Overall this is the most impressive feature so far. I think this feature is great for a student who wasn't to share their work with a group completely being cable free, fast and effective.

iMessage
Now as an owner of an iPad and iPhone 5, iMessages was next on my list. Apple has integrated the same messaging program to the mac so say for example if someone texts me and they are using wi-fi, the message will pop up on my mac. The simultaneous nature of receiving messages on all three devices at once was very impressive. More or less I should never miss another text message again from a friend of family member.

No comments:

Post a Comment